Saturday 11 October 2014

Shawn Lee: Candidate for Vernon City Council

In my  professional and political career I have been acclaimed, elected and defeated for office. Of course being elected is the most gratifying of the three possible outcomes. It comes from the satisfaction of knowing when the public was given the choice they choose you.
Being acclaimed carries its own type of satisfaction because there is an initial euphoria due to the conviction that I must be doing a good job or I would have challenged in my desire to represent and serve. Once that the good feeling passes there comes a certain disquiet due to a lingering unanswered question. Does anyone really know what I do? Does anyone really care about the issues or is everyone just content to let things go as they are.
Public apathy is thought to be the biggest threat to democracy. In recent decades the voter turnout in municipal elections has been notorious low, lagging behind both provincial and federal elections. This is ironic since your municipal government can really affect your day to life. Think about that when you discover that your local zoning permits a gravel extraction operation next to your piece of heaven. Yet election after election we observe low voter turnout. I believe that regionally we have hit a new low. We have had such a low number of candidates willing to serve in public office that it has resulted what I believe to be an unprecedented number of positions filled by acclamation. Perhaps the new longer term was felt by some to be onerous.
This is certainly not the case in the City of Vernon where five individuals are seeking the office of Mayor and fourteen individuals including yours truly are willing to spend the next four years serving the public interest in the largest jurisdiction in the North Okanagan.
I am puzzled. What is the difference between Vernon and its regional district neighbours? I have been watching area politics for a few years and conclude that public apathy must only form part of the answer and I will not venture any further explanation.
I was not returned to office after a single term in the Vernon Municipal election. This was a difficult experience as one can imagine but once I got over the desire to sell out and move to Costa Rica things improved. I was generously asked to continue to serve on the Arts Council of the North Okanagan and currently serve with an able council as its President. My interest in local government quickly rekindled and continued over the last three years. My desire is to serve my community by being an active and contributing member of Vernon City Council. I welcome the interest expressed by so many to do likewise. I look forward to a busy campaign with lively debate.
There is much that can be done to improve our community but I believe that the redesign of the 43rd Ave. and BC 97 should be a priority over the next four years. Efficient traffic flow is the hallmark of a well-run city.
I also believe a well-run City attracts the economic investment so vital to our continuing prosperity now and for the future.
My decision to seek a return to Council was not taken lightly or at the last minute. I sincerely ask for the renewal of support for those who have voted me in the past and ask that I might be your first choice for Vernon City Council.

Cheers, Shawn Lee Candidate for City Council



No comments: