Tuesday 27 May 2014

"The Devil is in the Adjectives"-City of Vernon Strategic Communication Plan

Whenever I read about an “effective communication” plan I believe that I will soon be recipient of a lot of material designed to bring me around to the” correct” interpretation of events or issues.  To be honest I am no stranger to this kind of communication after all I author a blog.
I agree that City Hall, Mayor and Council need to improve communications both internally and with the public. So on the surface the recent adoption of the Strategic Communications Plan by Vernon City Council should be applauded. I agree with the idea of some consistency in what we receive from City hall and Council but in this case “the Devil is in the adjectives”.
Very early in the report we find a list of key messages to be included in all communications. Here are some the adjectives pulled from that list: balanced, attractive, safe, vibrant, bold, progressive, rare, sound, sustainable, wise, long range, balanced, sustainable. (sustainable is used twice)These are warm fuzzy words from which we are meant to take comfort, particularly when we receive them from our Governments. Could someone tell me how this is not spin? Both Councillors Lord and Spiers thought so and voted to reject it. I believe that the problem with the document lies with its self-laudatory use of adjectives which places its stated purpose in doubt. After all it is an election year.

I believe that what city staff, City Council and the public really need to communicate are “Just the facts Ma’am.”  The public will decide if some proposed action is wise, bold, sound, balanced, progressive etc. Cheers! Shawn Lee a Vernon Taxpayer

http://www.vernon.ca/images/uploads/council/agendas/packages/140526_vrsn_2.pdf

No comments: