Friday 23 May 2014

A wish list for the municipal election.

A recent letter to the editor by Paula Andersen was billed as a wish for the fall Municipal elections. It was quite a list. I would like to add a few items my own to her list.
I would hope for a city council composed of individuals possessing a wide experience both in life and in our community. I hope for a council with the appropriate amount of time to devote to public office.  I hope for a Council that is committed to being thoroughly prepared for each and every meeting. I hope for a Council that would always be prepared to ask meaningful questions of staff and the public who appear before them. I would hope for a Council who is able to completely focus on the matter at hand no matter a routine it may seem. I hope for a Council that is comfortable with lively debate and is at the same time comfortable with the rules that must govern that debate.
I would hope for a Council that will recognize with enthusiasm opportunities that may come to enhance the experience of living and working and playing in our wonderful city. Yet with that enthusiasm I hope for a Council with the wisdom to exercise restraint realizing that caution in committing tax funds is always appropriate. This same wisdom would be useful at budget time
I would hope for a Council that would be comfortable with the tensions that will exist between itself and the staff who actually run the city. Such a Council will realize that individuals of good will no matter on which side of the desks they are sitting are seeking what they feel is best for the City.
I would hope for a City Council who will deal fairly with our regional partners and expect the same fair treatment in return. I would hope for a Council when at RDNO would not forget they represent the interests of those who elected them.
I would hope for a Council that would not hesitate to delay a decision while seeking to fully understand the issue. I hope for a Council that realizes that public is often right when it comes to a controversial matter.  I would hope for Council with the courage admit to mistakes. I hope for a Council composed of men and women of good will who are prepared to share generously of their time and abilities to serve the community in which they live.
I hope for a Council that will not be overwhelmed at their first five hundred page agenda package. Cheers Shawn Lee a Vernon Taxpayer

No comments: